Sex toys have been around for centuries, yet most people still know very little about them.
Yes, many of us can identify a butt plug or vibrator when we see one, but the majority of us don’t know the first thing about sex toys! This sex toy cheat sheet will teach you about the different types of toys, the number of ways you can use them, and how to properly store and clean them to ensure you’ll keep coming back for more (pun intended).
All there is to do now is sit back, relax, and learn from the ultimate sex toy cheat sheet!
Know Your Sex Toy Lingo
The most common types of sex toys include vibrators, dildos, anal toys, and penis masturbation devices (such as the Apollo Max Reversible Penis Masturbator), but beyond knowing the different categories of toys, what do you need to know?
There are so many different types of sex toys, especially when you get into specific kink categories, but having a general knowledge of what to keep in mind what shopping or looking at toys is essential!
Here are the most common sex toy facts to keep in mind:
- Body-Safe: One very important thing to know about toys is that some are not body-safe. Start by looking for silicone toys; they’re smooth, hypoallergenic, and nonporous – so they’re easy to clean!
- Silicone Lube Does Not Do Good Things To Silicone Toys: Generally speaking, if you’re looking for a lube that you can use with any toy, go with a water-based option.
- Never Chance It With An Anal Toy: Any toy you are going to use anally MUST have a flared base. Never use a toy in or around your anus that was not specifically designed to go up the bum!!
Sex Toy Versatility
Think outside of the box for sexy sex toy playtimes. While people most often think sex toys (especially vibrators) are for people with vaginas, many sex toys can be used in many different ways, for example:
- Vibrators can be used to stimulate the clitoris, labia, vaginal walls, testicles, nipples, perineum, and pretty much any place on the body you’d like to massage.
- Vibrating cock rings can be placed the shaft of a standard dildo to create a vibrating penetration toy.
- Flavored lubricants can provide new possibilities during oral sex
- (Note: we do not recommend you use flavored lubricants internally – this is an easy way to get a vaginal infection).
Get creative to get the best bang for your buck, and don’t let your conception of what a toy is “supposed to be used for” stop you from exploring what feels good to you!!
Sex Toys On A Budget
Rather than seeing sex toys as an unnecessary “luxury” expense, we should all aim to build a bountiful sex toy collection no matter your budget. The best way to do this is to join a retailer’s mailing list which will be notified every time your favorite shop has a sale, and consider joining an affiliate program.
By joining affiliate programs you can earn commission on any sales you send to a company and you’ll stay in the loop for any upcoming sales so you can budget ahead of time for the one toy you’ve had your eye on! If you can’t wait for a sale, another option is to shop for premium quality toys that are within your price range.
Sex Toy Cleaning Routines
Routine cleaning before and after using sex toys is essential to keeping your body safe and healthy – even if your toy is made from body-safe materials. Using sex toy cleaner solutions such as the portable hygienic, pre-moistened toy tissues by Afterglow is a great way to clean your pleasure products thoroughly, and they can be conveniently stored inside a bedside nightstand.
Certain toys without mechanical components (battery/charge ports) can be boiled or even put it in the dishwasher to disinfect, but be sure to refer to the packing for precise submersion cleaning instructions. It is always best to allow your toys to air dry before storing away.
Sex Toy Hoarding 101
Investing in a hygienic sex toy storage box such as the Joyboxx not only protects your toys from lint and dust, it’s a perfect privacy solution for all your sexual accessories.
Another option would be investing in small drawstring silk lined storage bags similar to the ones you use to store your sunglasses in. Those fit perfectly inside travel bags and sock drawers, where most of us are currently housing our sex toys.
No matter if you’re a sex toy novice or pro, pleasure playthings can be intimidating given the vast market of available products, but if you familiarize yourself with this sex toy cheat sheet we bet your overall shopping and “sexploring” experience will be one heck of a ride!